These bars are slightly richer than traditional sweet potato pie with the addition of cream cheese and features a graham cracker crust. Freshly grated ginger adds a bright flavor - serve with freshly whipped cream.
2 medium soft-baked sweet potatoes, pureed (about 15 ounces)
1 brick organic cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pinch fine kosher salt
1 cup organic grade B maple syrup
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
4 large eggs, at room temperature
15 whole cinnamon graham crackers, broken into 1" pieces
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup pure cane sugar
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Make a foil sling for a 13 x 19 inch baking pan by lining the pan lengthwise and crosswise with aluminum foil. This will make it easy to lift the cheesecake out of the pan to serve. Grease the aluminum foil.
2. Process graham crackers with the sugar to make fine crumbs, about 15 seconds, Add the melted butter and pulse until combined. Sprinkle the crumbs into the prepared pan and press into an even layer. Bake until it starts to brown - for about 15 to 18 minutes. Let the crust cool completely on a wire rack.
3. Using a standing mixer fixed with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and maple syrup until smooth and combined. Add the cinnamon, grated ginger, nutmeg, sweet potatoes, lemon juice, and vanilla and beat until completely combined. Increase the speed to medium and add the eggs, one at a time, beating until totally incorporated.
4. Pour the mixture over the cooled crust and spread to make an even layer. Bake until the edges are slightly puffed and the center is set, about 45 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and let the cheesecake cool on a wire rack for 2 hours. Then, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 to 24 hours. Lift the cheesecake out of the pan with the foil and cut into 24 pieces before serving.