This is a simple, floral cake that's actually more like a quick bread. It has just the right amount of sweet - no white sugar here - just honey. Serve it warm with whipped honey cream butter for breakfast or anytime you'd like a sweet snack.
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon Sorghum syrup
1/2 cup whole milk, at room temperature
1 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
1 tablespoon orange flower water
1 large egg plus one egg yolk
1/2 cup sprouted wheat or whole wheat flour
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
1 teaspoon sodium free or regular baking powder
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Pinch of sea salt
1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees,
2. Butter and flour three mini loaf pans or one 9-by-5 inch loaf pan.
3. In a small bowl whisk together the butter, honey, sorghum syrup, milk, orange flower water, ginger, and orange zest. Whisk in the egg and egg yolk until totally combined.
4. In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and salt. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold together until well combined.
5. Divide the batter between the three mini pans or scrape all of the batter into the one 9-by-5 inch loaf pan. Bake for 25-35 minutes for the mini cakes, and for 35-45 minutes for the single large cake. You will know that it is done when the top of the cake springs back when you press on it gently.
6. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for 30 - 40 minutes. Turn out of the pan and serve warm with honey cream butter.
Honey Cream Butter
4 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup raw honey
Beat all ingredients together until smooth and slightly fluffy. Serve immediately or chill for about an hour to stiffen up.