Here is another lower sugar cake based on Baking with Less Sugar that is light, fluffy, and very easy to make. It keeps beautifully in an airtight container for a couple of days.
For the cake:
2 cups excellent cake flour (like Anson Mills' Lammas Cake Flour), sifted
2/3 cup organic cane sugar
1 tablespoon sodium-free or regular baking powder
2 teaspoons finely-grated lime zest
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup coconut oil, liquified
7 large eggs, separated
1 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
For the glaze:
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon coconut milk
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
2 tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
Shredded unsweetened coconut for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl stir together the flour, 1/3 cup of the sugar, the baking powder, salt, lime zest, and coconut until combined. In a small bowl whisk together the coconut oil, egg yolks, coconut milk, and vanilla. Set bowl bowls aside.
2. Whip the egg white whites on medium speed with a hand mixer or in a standing mixer fixed with the whisk attachments for 1-2 minutes or until they get frothy. Slowly add the remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar and continue to whip for 2 to 3 minutes more, or until the whites get a bit glossy and reach soft peak stage.
3. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir together to make a smooth batter. Gently fold in the fluffy egg white a couple of large spoonfuls at a time until they have all been added. Do not mix or beat the batter.
4. Scrape the batter into a 9-inch ungreased tube or angel food cake pan with a removable bottom. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the cake is pale golden brown. Remove it from the oven and let cool on a wire rack. When the cake is completely cool you can remove it from the pan but running a knife around the sides of the pan and the inside of the tube. Invert onto a plate or wire rack.
5. To make the glaze: Whisk together the powdered sugar, coconut milk, lime juice, and coconut. Drizzle over the cake. Sprinkle additional coconut over the top and serve.